Re: [OM] Well, Poop! [was Worms!]

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, Poop! [was Worms!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 12:53:05 -0700
On 5/29/2014 9:08 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Moosedip wrote:

AG's comments about different processors got me to run it through Viewer3,
too.
THANK YOU, for testing my thesis. I feel like the lone wormy wolf in
the wilderness.

So, the worms I showed are artifacts of PS's input sharpening. You'd think
that's a problem solved.
ACR 2012 addressed a lot of issues, but some of these artifacts (as
illustrated by my sample DMC-L1 image)

That overall maze pattern seems to me unrelated to my 'worms'. The overall maze has to be a systematic failure of Bayer processing, doesn't it?

The worms seem to be USM interacting badly with single pixel width features of the image. Although why on E-M5 and not GX7, I don't know.

reveal that Adobe raw
conversion is still a second-rate converter. It's pretty good for
Nikon and Canon's greatest hits, but...

When I occasionally compared it to Canon's DPP, I preferred ACR.

This is most disturbing. I wouldn't so much mind converting using V3, but I
already know it's hopeless with recovering highlights. I really don't want
to have a dual work flow, V3 for higher ISO, ACR for highlights, then merge!
ICK!
That still won't solve problems, because ACR is screwing up the
highlights.

I'm not convinced about that. I've been quite happy with the way it handles highlights. But I never use it for more than pulling down to eliminate clipping. If that's extensive, I may also adjust blacks and whites to maintain overall tonal balance. Any further highlight adjustments are made with PS's more subtle, adjustable tools.

But then, you and Joel disagree with me about clipped highlight channels, so
you may have different criteria.

So you might get some improvement, but not totally.
This really brings home how different various sensor systems can be. The
E-M5 and GX7 seem to have such similar systems, but the same settings in ACR
result in worms from one and not from the other.
For the DMC-L1, Silkypix is unmatched by anything else out there for
maintaining pixel and tonal integrity.

I've not tried SilkyPix. Every review I've read talks about how clumsy it is to use. It came with my Pannys, but I've not installed it.

De Wormed Moose