Re: [OM] Well, Poop! [was Worms!]

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, Poop! [was Worms!]
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 11:45:45 +0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Olympus Camera Discussion" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 4:28 AM

When I occasionally compared it to Canon's DPP, I preferred ACR.

Agreed. However, I think DPP's skin tones are better.

I found ACR has problem in shadow color rendering, the green value is not
correctly interpreted. My young son don't like the ACR skin tone, not
only for his Canon but also other cameras.

I've not tried SilkyPix. Every review I've read talks about how clumsy it
is
to use. It came with my Pannys, but I've not installed it.

I believe this is a case where you paid attention to the nattering
nabobs of negativism without verifying for yourself. I would
absolutely NOT call it clumsy. In fact, it's actually remarkably good.
However, the biggest problem is that it does not support JPEG files,
nor does the included version with the cameras support all raw file
types like the full version does. It is also very slow in drawing the
thumbnails on an old 32bit machine. I would call most criticisms of
SilkyPix woefully inaccurate and based on only a brief test and no
effort to understand the power of the interface. You can do more with
Silkypix in color and tonal manipulation than with pretty much any
other commercially available converter.

I like Silkypix, the interface and image quality is good. I have the SE version which came with LX3, it can handle JPEG files but may only work with the one from Panasonic. It was slow with my old Core 2 Duo but now works very smooth with my i7.

C.H.Ling