Re: [OM] IMG: Paris

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Paris
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 17:35:08 -0400
Looks like they probably won't go after you:

The Eiffel Tower's likeness had long since been part of the public domain,
when in 2003, it was abruptly repossessed by the city of Paris. That's the
year that the SNTE, the company charged with maintaining the tower, adorned
it with a distinctive lighting display, copyrighted the design, and in one
feel swoop, reclaimed the nighttime image and likeness of the most popular
monument on earth. In short: they changed the actual likeness of the tower,
and then copyrighted that.

As a result, it's no longer legal to publish current photographs of the
Eiffel Tower at night without permission. Technically, this applies even to
amateurs. When I spoke to the Director of Documentation for SNTE, Stéphane
Dieu, via phone last week, he assured me that SNTE wasn't interested in
prohibiting the publication of amateur photography on personal Web sites.
"It is really just a way to manage commercial use of the image, so that it
isn't used in ways we don't approve," said Mr. Dieu.

Tina

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Well, I am not sure what they mean by "brand rights", but I doubt that the
> lighting is trademarked. The lighting is apparently copyrighted, or so SETE
> claims. The best explanation is actually on Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower#Image_copyright_claims
>
> This will not cause me to lose sleep, especially given the non-commercial
> usage. My site is hosted in the Netherlands. So there.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain
> http://www.frozenlight.eu
> http://www.greatpix.eu
>
> YNWA
>

> On May 30, 2014, at 8:51 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>
> >> However, its various illuminations are subject to author’s rights as
> well
> >> as brand rights. Usage of these images is subject to prior request from
> the
> >> "Société d’Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel" (the Eiffel Tower’s operating
> >> company, or SETE).
> >
> > Fortunately, Nathan is an expert on EU trademark stuff.
> >

> > --
> > Ken Norton
> > ken@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > http://www.zone-10.com