Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 15:26:42 -0700
On 6/3/2014 7:21 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
White Pages, an app for my iPhone, says the number is not valid. Doesn’t surprise me. Apparently
telemarketers and scammers have ways of generating numbers for your caller id that suggests they are in your home
area code, sometimes in your home switching station. They are not. If I don’t recognize the number, I am
skeptical. If it’s not my area code, I don’t even answer. If it’s important, they either will
call back, or leave a message. If a number keeps showing up, I block it.

Exactly. If I get all involved in tracking down, blocking, blah, blah, blah, they win, in the sense that I waste time, effort, even attention.

I get calls from area codes both near and far from numbers I don't know. I've assumed that not only do some make up numbers, but that others are poor souls who are trying to make ends meet by making marketing calls from their homes, in some scheme where they hope to "Make lots of money at HOME!"

So, I feel for them, but am not willing to play. It seems to me that the middle ground is just not to answer. If it's a person who wishes to reach me, personally, they can leave a message. If I want to talk to them, I can call back. If I want to answer their future calls, they go in my Contacts.

I put persistent, repetitive numbers into a contact "Spam". At least with iPhone, there seems so far to be no limit to the number of numbers I can store there. Then give that contact a special or silent ring tone.

I've been thinking maybe that strategy is why here seem to be fewer endlessly repeating numbers; they are changing the supposed source #s around.

Ignore 'Em Moose