Re: [OM] UV Filters as protection for front element of lens

Subject: Re: [OM] UV Filters as protection for front element of lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 22:30:08 -0700
On 6/4/2014 5:46 PM, Bill Barber via olympus wrote:
We all tend to develop our own habits when working with the tools of our
craft.  In general I put a quick release plate on my cameras, take the neck
strap off and go naked on the front of my lens.  When I recently bough a
NEX 7 I bought UV filters for both of my expensive lenses with relatively
large  front elements.  A few minutes ago as I was carrying the 10-18mm to put
it  in my stash cabinet, I hit my hand on the edge of the couch, knocking the
lens  out. I landed on the wood floor destroying  the lens cap, UV filter
and putting a couple of gouges in the front element.  Double ugh!

OUCH!!!

Don't know what the lesson is

Don't drop cameras and/or lenses. :-)

, however it is insured.

I'm self-insured, and so far well ahead. $0 premium costs, $0 claims.

Wonder if there was  some bad camera karma from putting the UV filter on the
front of the lens.

Yup.

Did you say you were doing that? I seem to recall thinking it was a bad idea, but that you are a big boy, capable of making your own decisions.

I tend to agree with Tina on this one.

Hooded Moose