Re: [OM] UV Filters as protection for front element of lens

Subject: Re: [OM] UV Filters as protection for front element of lens
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 07:59:16 -0500
Bash 'em Barber wrote:
> Wonder if there was  some bad
> camera karma from putting the UV filter on the front of the lens.

Possible. But I think it's really just the law of averages catching up
to you. Just shrug your shoulders, smile and keep shooting.

I've scratched one lens from an unfortunate meeting of the camera with
the sharp corner of a tripod head. This was in spite of the lens hood.
A filter might have protected the lens, but it might have also
shattered and done even more damage to the lens. Who knows. I could
have been a bit less sloppy and prevented it in the first place. Maybe
I need a giant UV filter separating me from my equipment.

The rest of the story is that the scratch was small, never showed up
in the pictures and when I sold the lens only had a very minor affect
on the resale price--less than the cost of an UV filter.

I generally do not use filters, but will if conditions warrant.
However, for several years I was using UV filters as clear lens caps.
When changing lenses during event shoots, I would keep the lenses bare
in the bag. It made for quicker lens swaps and could be done one
handed. Haven't done that in years, though. I've long since changed
out lens bags and refined my system.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx