Re: [OM] Having fun with collectors

Subject: Re: [OM] Having fun with collectors
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 09:43:40 -0500
The latency with VoIP/Packet is pretty bad. As is the link up time. We
have been fighting with our equipment vendors over this. It turns out
that as a stand-alone device, a packet-based phone switch has
performance characteristics of the older digital voice switch
technology being replaced. However, the moment you connect two of
these things together, stuff starts to go south. Three, four, five and
mixing vendors and packet interfaces results in utter nightmares.

It's really fun here at my office. The guy in the next cube from me
will jump on the same conference call. He's on a VoIP office phone,
and I'm on my cell phone. The conference bridge is three states away.
The delay is usually around 2 seconds.

Yes, THIS is progress.

--
Ken Norton