Re: [OM] Having fun with collectors

Subject: Re: [OM] Having fun with collectors
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 10:57:19 -0500
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I hate getting on a conference call in our office - we're all in 6x6
> green
> > metal hamster boxes in a room with a low ceiling (yes, this is the
> > brand-new hospital.  We're not a revenue-generating department, so
> they've
> > jammed us into as small a space as they could) and even if you whisper,
> > everyone can hear you.  Imagine 5 of us, all dialed into the same
> > conference bridge, all on slightly different time delays, combined with
> the
> > actual acoustic sound.
> >
> > Yep.  Instant headache.
>
> Acoustical panels, walls, etc. I'd be getting creative. Otherwise,
> find a way to turn yourself into a revenue-generating department. :)

Our hamster boxes have fabric walls, and we have "acoustical tile"
ceilings.  Doesn't really matter much.

As long as we're the IT department, in their eyes, all we do is cost them
money. We're a necessary evil.  At the old hospital, we all had large work
spaces.  My workbench/desk was 8 feet long, giving me plenty of space to
work on the big radiology PACS reading workstations that I build and
support.  Now, in a 6x6 box, I have to have my own workstation with a 24"
and 19" monitor, and jammed in on the left is the 24" monitor that I use to
build/support the workstations, which are also jammed in under my desk next
to my feet.  To get out of my chair, I have to back out into the aisle.  To
do that requires backing away from my desk, which usually results in me
hitting the wall behind me, which is the front wall of my neighbor, which
often knocks the photos of her granddaughter off.  To hook up the computers
that I have to work on, I need to pull my chair all the way out into the
aisle and crawl under my desk.  And the way they jammed the hamster boxes
into this room, and the way they didn't match any of the wiring up to the
floor plan, means that there are no power/network jacks in my cube.  I have
an extension cord run under the cube wall into my neighbor's space just so
I can have power and ethernet.

Whee.

--

Paul Braun