Re: [OM] UV Filters as protection for front element of lens

Subject: Re: [OM] UV Filters as protection for front element of lens
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 08:19:26 +1000
Harsh to blame the filter - with a direct impact, the lens would be damaged
with or without. But in less dramatic events, a filter will be sacrificial and
it does keep the lens clean, taking the brunt of any cleaning.
Some of the big white sports tele's have a built-in filter - the first
'element' is plain, optical glass designed to be cheap and easy to replace.
I'm also a fan of the Giottos type optical glass rear screen protectors ever
since someone dropped my 5D2 in the studio and it hit a tripod dolly wheel
screen first. Shattered the protector but the screen was unmarked (there are
plastic layers in them that bind the fragments). Same sort of thing happened
with my M9 - broken by a side impact that would have damaged the LCD.
Tina - note: it took me while to find out that the M 240 screen is exactly the
same size as a Nikon V1 screen! :-)

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Author/Publisher: