Re: [OM] OT. Books

Subject: Re: [OM] OT. Books
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 14:51:14 -0700
On 6/6/2014 8:07 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
Especially if you disagree with the stranglehold Amazon has on publishers and
authors.

I'm more interested in the prices of electronic editions. Although this house is full of books, they are a species in rapid decline here.

I would guess my reading ratio of electronic to physical books is about 10 to 1. And that only because Carol is a library hound who brings home lots of physical books.

Even some guides that we hauled around aren't necessary anymore. Peterson and Audubon apps for 'phone/tablets do a good job there on flora and fauna. Better, for bird sounds.

What fries me is when electronic versions cost as much as physical books, sometimes more! How the cost of printing, shipping, stocking and reshipping a book can compare to the cost of a download is a mystery to me.

About the only books I've bought lately are photo books, out of print books not available in electronic editions and campground/RV park guides also not available electronically. (No, the web is not good, as access is generally not there in the very places they inform about.)

I suppose this will eventually settle out. Amazon and B&N are both listing more
and more reasonably priced books.

But I think publishers and distributors have shot themselves in the foot here. I can't imagine there aren't a huge number of people who have availed themselves of the very large number of books available free on the 'net. Then a $3-4 ebook that would have seemed a fair price compared to a much more expensive physical book may look expensive, and unnecessary.

E. Reader Moose