Re: [OM] IMG: WAS Nathan's PAW 22: NOW CLICK CLACK

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: WAS Nathan's PAW 22: NOW CLICK CLACK
From: Philippe <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 15:45:10 +0200
Le 7 juin 2014 à 13:49, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> What you are referring to is called a 'Nation State' in political studies, to
> avoid confusion.
> Both 'nation' and 'state' when used alone have multiple meanings.
>

> FWIW
> A state is regarded as an semi-autonomous, partly self-governing
> administrative division in a federation. For instance, an English-speaking
> observer would refer to Hesse, for instance, as a 'state' in the German
> federation.
> States within different nations may have very different levels of autonomy.
> In some, they are rather powerless, in others virtually independent. The USSR
> regarded it's 'states' as independent republics and in some aspects, they
> were. Ideally, State Governments become a check and balance on the Federal
> Government in domestic issues at least. That's why here the Upper House is
> elected proportionately by  State Divisions and the Lower House popularly by
> Federal Divisions.

Well these are specific cases - a state has diplomatic relationships with other
states - which the German lander don't have unless I'm mistaken.
With this in mind, does for instance Alaska have seat at the UNO?
Or can any of the various States and Territories of Australia technically and
legally declare a war to New Zealand?

> The English division is a County (not country)

England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland are countries - they are the 4
main components of the UK and enjoy whatever degree of freedom the British
Parliament allows them to. They are what I was referring to.
Counties, just like those in the US are even lower levels of (limited) decision
making, or application of the higher decisions. Always presumably acting within
the limits set by Parliament. They are the ground forces of a superior interest
in a way.

> and they are far less autonomous and much smaller than a US, Australian,
> Indian state or Canadian Province. I Understand that many US States are
> divided into rural 'Counties'. In the UK, cities within them are independent
> of the County authority, for instance, so they become a rural administration.
> (i.e. Leicester City Council and Leicestershire County Council are separate
> bodies).
> I suspect that the UK administrative structure may have overtaken my
> shambling memory - I'll bet it's more complicated than that.

Any parishioner will agree, some urban dwellers too I bet ;-)
The last reform brought by Cameron & al. made it even more difficult to
understand for me.
Now let's see what happens if and when Scotland leaves the Union …

Australia is yet another atypical form of organization :-)
With Governors in the states, and different systems of uni/bicameral
"parliaments", etc.
their ambit is too limited to have a serious effect on the issues we were
originally discussing.

Long live the Queen of Australia ;-)

Amities
Philippe