Re: [OM] OT. Books

Subject: Re: [OM] OT. Books
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 10:52:03 -0400
I live out in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina.  It is half an hour
to the nearest mall.  I can order almost anything from Amazon after 4 one
afternoon and it appears by magic on my doorstep before 10 the next
morning.  I think it is a miracle. I can carry hundreds of books in my
pocket whether I travel the world or wait at the car dealer's for my car to
be repaired - another miracle.  I have a Prime membership with Amazon and
it is the best bargain I have ever found.

Tina

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 5:10 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, Amazon and companies like it worry me – just as a large majority in
> Parliament (or any legislature) worries me.  They have way too much
> influence, both commercially and politically, especially in countries where
> the political system is driven by money.
>
> That doesn't mean that I don't use Amazon, but I try to diversify my
> consumer activities . . .
>
> Chris
>
> On 7 Jun 14, at 10:06, Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > My point was not about e-books vs. paper but about the near monopoly
> Amazon
> > is becoming (despite efforts from some competitors) - leading to the
> > effective censorship of works from some sources when the publishers won't
> > fall in line with Amazon t's and c's...
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/new-chapter-in-antiamazon-feelings-as-hachette-loses-the-plot-over-margins-9503906.html
> >

> --