[OM] Attn LUGgers

Subject: [OM] Attn LUGgers
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 11:40:14 +0100
This appears to be the latest:

====
Notice of 3 June 2014. The 9-year-old LUG server computer sustained a small
fire in one of its power supplies on Saturday morning, and is unsalvageable.
I had a standby replacement, but the software on the burned-up computer was
9 years old and would not run on the replacement. So I've been very
laborioiusly doing big-jump software upgrades, e.g. the operating system
from version 7.1 to version 9.2.

It is Tuesday afternoon as I post this, and I have just moments ago gotten
the www service working. The last hurdle that I know about is the LUG email
itself. Conflict between two software packages is giving me fits (Python
2.7.6 and Mailman 2.1.18-1). I know I will eventually get it working, but,
dear God, can't you make this challenge a little easier? If you are a
world-class Python expert I'd love to hear from you (brian@xxxxxxxx).

I remember the famous USA television advert from the 1960s: you can pay me
now, or you can pay me later. I went 9 years without upgrading the software
because it kept working and I didn't want to waste time on needless
upgrades. But now at the end of those 9 years I have had to do all of the
upgrades at once.

Your LUG mail will start arriving as soon as I can get it working. It will
probably take a little longer to get the automatic updates to this page
working.

Brian Reid, LUG Saloonkeeper, Palo Alto, California USA
====

Taken from the homepage of the LUG archives.

Regrettably the only Python skills I could offer are of the Monty variety,
which will not help Brian, and probably wouldn't even amuse him in the
present circumstances.

Piers