Re: [OM] Advice on the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 02:13:33 -0500
There is a road that takes you to the headwaters of the creek, but be careful. It is worth the trip, but it is several miles of winding two lane blacktop at about 179 degree downgrade. I recommend taking a manual transmission car, sa brake burnout is a big chance. Much more so than the many other mountain roads. Experience is your best friend in those conditions. If your car has an automatic and you can lock it in a gear and it won't upshift at the worst possible time you're ok, but if you are a flatlander, don't ride the brake. No guarantee you will live to regret that habit. But everything about it is worth the trip. In that part of the state, consider the Durango to Silverton train ride, well worth the day it eats up.

-----Original Message----- From: Bill Barber via olympus