Re: [OM] OT. Books

Subject: Re: [OM] OT. Books
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 15:10:39 -0700
On 6/6/2014 5:03 PM, JOHN DUGGAN wrote:
Different things for different folks! I have absolutely no interest in
electronic books.

As you say. As with some others who have commented, I find the convenience of having a whole library on one little reader amazingly nice.

One thing you may not know is the vast difference between computer monitors, tablets, etc. and dedicated readers like Kindle and Nook.

I find reading on a laptop or my iPad mini irritating and tiring in all but very dim light and essentially impossible outdoors and in many well lit places. The e Ink display of the readers is easily readable in direct sun. They are reflective, with a matte surface, like a book. I can read one for hours without eye/brain fatigue.

Because the display is passive, only using power to change pages, battery life
is MUCH better than tablets.

Not pushing you to try one, only providing information, should you ever be
tempted. ;-)

I buy many books "second hand" and often out of print. Most of my books are "factual
or reference".

Yeah, we both read a lot of fiction, which piles up faster, I think.

I enjoy the tactile feel of a book and find it much easier to read off a page
as opposed to a screen. I wish I had more bookshelf space!

Finally, the accretion of books in this house has slowed, and they may not push
us out. :-)

Perhaps it is the traditionalist in me...give me a proper good quality automatic wristwatch
rather than a quartz or digital monstrosity, or the readout on a mobile phone! ...it is all
about "heart and soul"  ;-)>

Well, yes and no for me. I love the really fancy gold pocket watch I inherited from my father. and the insides of mechanical watches are fascinating. But when I go out of the house, I mostly grab the $10 plastic watch with the much more expensive band - 'cause it's always right. Gaining maybe a second a month makes it perfect for information without fuss. The other times, it's the dressier, much more expensive Victorinox, although it doesn't keep as accurate time.

What Time Is Moose