Re: [OM] (OM) OT Malwarebytes

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Malwarebytes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 15:20:44 -0700
On 6/9/2014 2:59 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Hi Moose,
I know nothing of Malwarebytes, but, in my transition from an 8-yr old machine running XP to a new one running Windows 7, I was my own worst enemy. I wanted to use the same tools for photo work that I had used in the past, and set out to download this software. I tried to get current versions of Neat Image, FocusMagic, and a BW converter that I had found useful. In this process, I stumbled into downloads of "bundles", not individual programs, and got a lot of invasive, unwanted software. It took me several weeks to clean up the mess. Now, the only one I see is a popup ad each time I start the machine, which I immediately close. I looked into deleting it, and found that people had to resort to a lot of specific registry edits, which I refuse to do.

We need to be careful what we seek on the web! :-(

Indeed, but that's not the fault of the OS or the software itself. Operator
error, I believe it's called. :-(

I don't recall needing to upgrade image software going from XP to Vista. Going on to 7, I needn't have done so, either, if I stayed with the limitations of 32 bit. But I got a new machine in large part to get lots of RAM.

Between 64 bit and at least one plug-in not working with PSCC, even 32 bit, I
have had to upgrade a few plug-ins.

If you buy from the maker, you should be safe from all but the curse of stuff installed by default with it. Pay close attention when you run the installer, uncheck all boxes for installing extra stuff, click on the tiny, dim 'skip all offers' when available, and you should stay clean.

It used to be it was OK to just click 'Next' all through software installation.
No longer, but not the fault of the OS.

Install Cautions Moose