Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 15:35:05 -0700
On 6/5/2014 2:07 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
...  Now, though, the line is noisy like it was 6 months ago, so I can only get
a 24.6kbs dialup connection at best.

      Welcome to America.

No, Welcome to left over, 19th. century America.

How can you expect a 'phone company, which is in business to make money, to maintain a huge, high maintenance installation, that's generating little income, to a high standard?

The copper wire network in our area uses connection blocks that were fine for their first few years of life. Many decades later, they tend to corrode and corrode and break the wires. If you nag them, old school linemen will come out, find and fix the problem. But it will deteriorate again, soon enough. Even DSL doesn't get much faster than your dial-up. (OMG!!! You are still using dial-up???)

But it doesn't matter, because the cable company has fiber to provide highly reliable, fast internet and nice, clean VOIP voice.* The 'phone co. will never replace/upgrade the copper system. They'll bring in fiber too, switch all land lines to VOIP and recycle the copper.

Ancient, but up to date, Moose

* Not that we use it, but internet is cheaper bundled with phone.