Re: [OM] IMG: Protection

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Protection
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 09:24:20 -0400
Our geese are Toulouse and they are not very aggressive at all, except when
protecting their babies.  Even then, they have never pecked at me - only
hissed politely.  I raised them from one-day-old chicks and they always
thought I was their mother, following me everywhere.  Tom gets aggravated
at them,  not only because of the poop, but because they chew on all of the
wiring in all of the vehicles parked around the house.  They have chewed
all of the insulation off of the air-conditioner wiring.  He is ready to
have all of them for dinner, but I really like to watch them so they will
be around for awhile!

Tina

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> We used to have Muscovy ducks many years ago - they're basically short
> geese with attitude. I once had to rescue my 6yo son from the big drake who
> had taken exception to being pushed off the path. He had Nic by the ear
> with the hook on the end of his beak, was beating him around the sides and
> arms with a 6ft wingspan and raking him with his claws, as he was right off
> the ground. Full attack.
> The same beast went to a new home as a watchduck. I had experience with
> manhandling geese from my teenage visits to French farms. So fearlessly (!)
> I caught him , stuffed him in a tea chest and nailed down the lid for the
> journey. He battered the sides a bit during the short drive. When we
> arrived, I tipped the chest on its side in the garden, ripped off the lid
> and stepped back to join the others. He reeled out, got his balance, got
> his vision back. looked down the line of half-a-dozen humans watching him
> and promptly flew straight at me with homicide in mind.
>
> Next week: How to survive an malevolent Emu.
>
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Author/Publisher:
> The SLR Compendium,The TLR Compendium
> http://www.soultheft.com/storehouse_photopublish/
>

> On 10/06/2014, at 6:24 PM, David Thatcher wrote:
>
> > When we lived 'out in the sticks', we had a few geese - they pretty much
> > rendered the dog obsolete :)
> >
> > One of them nested near the electric meter box.  I went out to reset a
> > circuit breaker, got too close, and she grabbed my left leg and  pulled
> > it out from under me - I fell over... When your face is under theirs
> > it's more than a little scary...
>
> --

Tina Manley