Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:03:21 -0700
I'm about 16000 cable feet from the central office and I'm getting ONLY 5.96
mbps.
I'm about 14k' copper from the nearest fibre getting 3.5mbps ?? Best they can do they claim...
the phone company has to provide to everybody that wants
service, no matter how many miles out in the sticks they live.
land line phone service, not necessarily decent dsl. I knew I should have been getting at least 4mbps not 1>>1.5 based on distance to box but 19th Centurylink's response was "call your ISP". Nada. Paul, my local small time ISP, was getting ignored. I was told up front by 19thCL to subscribe to their service if I wanted any kind of service. I finally had to bend over and drop Paul and sign up for a 19thCL package. 2 techs were out the next day and spent all day cleaning up our line. Our local energy coop is exploring getting into broadband. Especially after our latest 10-day outage. I hope they go for it. Anyone know of local energy coops in the broadband business? I've heard anecdotal evidence of some success.