Re: [OM] IMGS: Swiss Mountain Chapels - SCOTT

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Swiss Mountain Chapels - SCOTT
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:44:32 -0500
We're in a more humid environment so the diurnal temperature swings are
tempered a bit. However, our solar house has almost six cubic yards of high
density concrete thermal mass in the atrium area and even more downstairs
around the fireplace. The eaves and overhangs are sized to keep the summer
sun out of the house, but the thermal mass is placed to directly absorb the
sun, which keeps daytime temperatures from screaming through the roof and
it radiates throughout the night. Before Christmas, the furnace will
usually do its first cycle somewhere between 11pm and 2am. Our furnace fan
controller died and it was almost two days before we noticed. By day three
the temperature dropped down to 58 or so, with outside temperatures of the
mid teens. (F).

We really need to get new windows. These had the seals broken in the
tornado and previous wind storms.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx