Re: [OM] The LUG

Subject: Re: [OM] The LUG
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:27:22 +0000
The 3rd gen RX7 was the only one that was really a world-class car (and in
many ways still is). The 1st and 2nd gen:  well, not terrible (esp. 2nd
gen could be decent) but they didn't have the engineering of the 3rd gen
one. The current RX8 is a step down from the 3rd gen RX7.

The best 2nd gen was probably the GTU-s, light, non-turbo, etc. You could
make more power with the turbo-II but it wasn't as great on track.  The
2nd gen had some innovative engineering in theory that didn't hold up as
well in practice. Things like certain bushings and passive rear steering
had to be undone/re-engineered for serious performance use. Their "target
car" for the 2nd gen RX7 was the Porsche 944.

All the unmuffled rotary motors are crazy loud, agreed. Esp. if they were
ported (bridge-port, etc.)

The serious crazies in the rotary world make up their own 3, 4, 5, 6-rotor
motors.

-Ed