Re: [OM] Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Software
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:05:09 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>       It's becoming obvious that the trick to using glass filters is to
>>record the image as RAW colour, convert it to JPEG colour, and then B&W.
>>Or something like that.  I find that doing this processing with the camera
>>is a bit cumbersome as I have a lim ited opportunity to judge the
>>saturation, etc. before doing the conversions.
>
>It gets a little more complicated. Yes, LR is a good option, but the
>problem comes in that there is an inherent flaw in the way nearly all
>raw converters combine the three or four pixels together to get a
>merged RGB value for the pixel. When one set of sensels has a full
>luminance range of values, but the other sensels don't there is an
>averaging that kicks in which screws everything up.

     I did download the LR demo file, which took about 1 1/2 hours with the
WiFi connection.  Immediately afterwards I had all sortsd of trouble moving the
file to another folder or copying it to the external drive for archiving.  I
looked at the Task Manager and saw that my antivirus was working triple
overtime.  I came home, restarted the machine, and all worked fine.  Fine, that
is, until I tried to run the antivirus, which seemed to hang up.

     So, I restarted the machine in Safe Mode and the antivirus launched
properly.  It now seems that while I was downloading the LR demo a hacker
entered the coffee shop and my antivirus was diligently fighting him off.  So,
I'm running the antivirus and later the malware to clean things up.

     In the meantime, I happened to recall that inside the rear cover of
"Filter Practice" by Clauss & Meusel (Focal Press,1964) there is a colour test
card for evaluating the performance of B&W filters.  Since this is the
definitive test, I'm going to set this up tomorrow morning when the outside
temperature is more agreeable (it's presently 104F at 1100) and do a full test
of the emulated filters in both JPEG B&W and RAW B&W (no B&W conversion from
colour).  Afterwards I'll do a similar test with glass filters, then later do a
test with colur images converted to B&W.

     You can tell that I am determined to understand this.

     The nice thing about bicycles, slide rules, carbeurators, and manual film
cameras is that they are totally immune from viruses.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson