Re: [OM] IMGS: Swiss Mountain Chapels - SCOTT

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Swiss Mountain Chapels - SCOTT
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 09:17:27 +1000
Corrugated 'iron' is a traditional material here from the very early days when
prefabricated homes were imported from Britain - and they really were iron
then. It was then pushed along by the local iron and steel industry and in
recent years transformed into 'Colourbond' which is prepainted. It is the
quintessential Australian building material to the point where it featured in
the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony. Bare, zinc plated, it is used for rural
sheds and water tanks and is iconic. Curved profiles were and are used for
tanks and verandah roofing.
The lifespan for unpainted corrugated steel is 80-120 years - longer is claimed
for pre-painted but as it's a less rustic material, it usually gets replaced
long before that. I've built sheds out of reasonable second hand stock as well
- you used to be able to get it rerolled. I've been up into roofs where there
were so many pinholes that you had enough light to see but they still weren't
leaking.
In modern use it's very trendy to build a house with walls and roof in the
material. It's flexible and easy to replace panels when tired.
PHOTOGRAPHIC CONTENT!: A good piece of well rusted and weathered corrugated
iron makes a nice backdrop for a portrait.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Author/Publisher:
The SLR Compendium,The TLR Compendium