Re: [OM] Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Software
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 10:19:26 +0800
Personally, I would stay away from ACR and LR. I reported errors in ACR for a long time but I believe most of you didn't see the problem as in color mode many of you cannot distinguish the differences or as Moose said he prefer the ACR color more. Recently, when checking with the negative scans and camera copy I found a way to identify the faulty areas more easily. By looking at the RGB channel separately, comparing ACR and original RAW converters from equipment manufacturers you can see the lost of information and errors. Here are two examples:

Canon 40D, DPP, Picture Style Neutral, sharpness=1 others default.

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Color-40D-DPP.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Red-40D-DPP.jpg

ACR Camera RAW Defaults

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Color-40D-ACR.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Red-40D-ACR.jpg

Olympus E-PL1, Viewer 3, sharpness -2, others default, no NR.

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Red-Oly-V3.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Blue-Oly-V3.jpg

ACR Camera RAW Defaults, exposure -0.15

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Red-Oly-ACR.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Blue-Oly-ACR.jpg

The result also shown that the Red channel is more easy to blow in ACR.

There are some other differences in other areas and channels, if you want to play with the raw files, here they are:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_2614.CR2
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P2193570.ORF

With the errors in channels, playing with B/W filters in PS is just not my cup of tea.

C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chuck isn't going to cry *foul* because Chuck doesn't know and doesn't care and doesn't know why you think he would. Chuck will shoot without the filter and post process the image. Works for me. I don't think I've ever done a B&W conversion of an E-M5 image. Are you saying that ACR can't do the Olympus raw conversion properly? I just did my first ever E-M5 B&W conversion in ACR. Looks fine to me.

Chuck (mostly color) Norcutt