Re: [OM] Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Software
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:26:55 -0400
From my post of earlier this morning. It should make clear (especially if you view the PhotoShop example video) that "emulated color filters" (as you call them) must be applied to a color image in post-processing. The color image can be RAW or JPEG but best results will be achieved using the RAW file. It cannot be done with a B&W JPEG either in-camera or in post-processing since all color information has already been discarded. Also note that when doing a B&W conversion from a RAW file or any other type of processing on a RAW file that the data you're working on is 16-bit RAW file data. It it not yet a JPEG and may never be a JPEG. JPEG is only one form of possible output.
Unfortunately, I do not know how to do this in Olympus viewer (and am not about to try to learn it there) but in ACR you
1) Switch to the HSL/Grayscale panel
2) Click the Convert to Grayscale option
At this point ACR does a default conversion to grayscale but presents you with 8 color sliders that allow you to vary the luminance of the reds, oranges, yellows, greens, aquas, blues, purples and magentas that are still present in the underlying color image. Moving these sliders has the same sort of effect as using color filters in B&W photography... except that you're dealing with a positive rather than negative image. For example, using B&W film you might use a yellow, orange or red filter to darken the sky and add contrast to the clouds. When dealing with the positive color digital image you would reduce the luminance of the blues. Likewise, if you wanted to darken or enhance the foliage you would use the green luminance slider. No need to understand and use complementary colors. See the example video (first one on this page) <http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/convert-color-image-black-white.html>

Using B&W conversion of raw files one does not need to use glass filters at all except for the case of polarizers, UV filters, ND filters and IR filters with IR film. For color filters as normally used with B&W film you can discard them all. Conversion from raw files gives you much more control without the disadvantages (cost and image quality) of glass filters. Color balance controls will also allow you to get rid of all those pesky and expensive CC filters used in commercial film photography.

Chuck Norcutt