Re: [OM] Universal Battery Charger?

Subject: Re: [OM] Universal Battery Charger?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:05:58 -0700
On 6/15/2014 9:58 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
With one charger, one may need to get up in the night to change the battery,
possibly twice. This looks like even less
fun with the above Lenmar than dedicated chargers, adjusting contacts bleary
eyed in the dark.
That was my first thought when I saw the "adjustable" contacts. On our trip perhaps my most used bit was the UK adapter which allowed charging both the tablet and camera batt and/or gps at the same time. That little gps saved our butts a few times. I took the little Progo charger (same as the Wasbi) for the EM5 and 3 batteries.

I thought the Wasabi, and others for non-coded batteries, might/could not quite fully charge coded batteries. The Progo I have claims to be fully coded, so their charger, which I don't have, might do fine.

My impression is that non-coded batteries have less practical capacity because, absent the smart battery info, the camera conservatively relies on voltage alone to shut down.

Way easier to carry and use than the Oly one with cord.

All of my Oly µ4/3 chargers are cordless, with flip out prongs. The Wasabis and other similar ones do have the advantage of a 12v option, though. (My two Pannys have different size/capacity batteries, but they vary only in thickness and the chargers are designed to work for both. One charger has the big/thick, stiff cord thing, and stays home. The other is cordless. Otherwise identical.)

Also made a nice night light.

Carol is bothered by light at night, even tiny ones. Fortunately, she seems to have acclimated to those on the various safety sensors in our little RV. I hide charger lights.

Mike