Re: [OM] Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Software
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 09:20:44 -0500
> Interesting, I can see that your skills and tastes in post processing may
> well have changed over the years.  Is there any evidence that the raw
> processing software has improved significantly ?  What if I were to take an
> E-1 raw file from 2006 (?) and process with the latest version of Olympus
> Viewer ?  Do Olympus apply advancements to processing of E-1 files in their
> new software or are the same old 2006 algorithms used for processing E-1
> files and the advances only applied for newer camera ORFs ?

I can't speak to the latest version of Olympus Viewer, but I have a
wee bit of experience going back and reprocessing ancient E-1 files
with the latest/greatest Lightroom.

Frankly, Adobe's color mapping stinks. It looks "accurate" in a
plastic kinda way. It's the Ford Taurus or Toyota Camry of raw
converters. Functional, comfortable, safe, practical, etc., but
certainly not a vehicle one wants to make a statement in.

Capture One is, by far, the best raw converter for E-system files
there is. And it keeps getting better.

You certainly see it in the reds. With Olympus/Capture-One raw
converters, reds stay red or tend to the warm side. With
ACR/Lightroom, they tend to the cool side. Yes, you can tweak things a
little bit in ACR2012, but it's still not quite right. It's more than
just cranking up the saturation, it has to do with how colors are
mapped. When you correct the reds with the ACR converted files, you
can end up with the same results, but other things skew--especially in
the skin tones. With ACR, you can get the skin right or the colors
right, but not both right.

Obviously, I'm stretching this a little bit, but the fact is that the
converters do treat the raw files differently and Adobe has always
seems to just coast along because they are Adobe.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx