Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 07:23:52 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Just leave the color filters at home.  There's nothing they can do that
>can't be done (and done better) in post processing.
>
>As to using the color filters with a positive color image to produce a
>post-processed B&W, I don't think that's going to work.  Remember that
>those red, orange, yellow, green filters are meant to work with negative
>film.  They are filtering the complementary colors of the final positive
>image. In this RGB color wheel
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_color#mediaviewer/File:RBG_color_wheel.svg>
>
>note that the yellow, orange and red (which you associate with darker
>skies and contrasty clouds on B&W images) are filtering the blue, azure
>and cyan on the opposite sides of the wheel.  When working with positive
>RGB images one must filter the positive color as you do when working
>with the software.  Imagine what you'd get if you stuck these red,
>yellow and orange filters over a lens shooting an Ektachrome image.  Not
>what you'd want although it would work with color negative film which
>you could later convert or print as B&W if desired.

     Duh!  I had completely overlooked that!  And I should know better.  So,
instead of filtering with the complementary colour as we are used to we now
instead filter with the primary colour.

     I came to a conclusion with both the glass and emulated filters yesterday
after hours of experimenting with various methods using the colour star in the
back of "Filter Practice".  Just as I had experienced earlier before all this
effort began, the green filter, either glass or emulated, has little if any
effect on the final B&W product, and that can be seen on the histograms.

     So, if I want to do detailed B&W photography I'm going to have to stick
with film.  Or, learn an entirely different method.  Is there perhaps a way of
taking a colour image, producing a negative which can then be filtered,
converted back to a positive image, and then converted to a B&W image?

     I do have a Wratten 49 blue filter, so I will go out later today and see
what effect that has.

     BTW:  I'm told that the best place to buy filters is Copenhägen, as there
is always something Wratten in Denmark.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson