Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 16:58:28 +0100
No, it's nothing to do with converting colour (spelling noted, thanks!) to
B&W. It has everything to do with interpolating from the raw image to get a
visible image (whether that be JPG, TIF or just 'virtual' on screen).
Remember that the raw image is a mosaic of individual red green and blue
pixels. Processing that raw image requires the de-mosaicing software (in
Olympus Viewer, Adobe Camera Raw or whatever) to deduce the blue and green
levels for each red pixel, the red and green for each blue and so forth. To
my way of thinking, your use of a [red] filter on the lens is simply
distorting the level recorded for each [red] pixel, with the result that the
de-mosaicing software cannot correctly deduce the blue and green values.
It's no surprise to me that the crude result is an underexposed image.

In a sense, isn't what you are trying to do akin to altering the pictorial
characteristics of Kodachrome by soaking the unexposed film in a red dye,
forgetting that the K-14 chemical process monitoring will "do it's best" to
restore the overall colour balance?

I agree, you aren't doing anything wrong, other than expecting the
impossible ;-)

Piers