Re: [OM] A65 request for image quality evaluation.

Subject: Re: [OM] A65 request for image quality evaluation.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:46:52 -0400
I forgot to mention that the only processing I performed on Boris' images were crops. There have been no other mods including sharpening.

Chuck Norcutt

On 6/17/2014 10:44 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I agree that it's really quite impossible to compare these images with
the intent of saying which camera/lens is better.  I have prepared some
crops that show the A65 has clearly produced a better image than the
A200 <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=13386>  The problem is
we don't know why.  Exposures are different, color balance is different,
lens coverage angles are different and, within that, we don't know if
it's focal length or shooting distance or both.

But whatever the shooting conditions the A65 has made a much better
image.  Whether it's better enough to illustrate the actual technical
merits of the A65 and whatever lens was used is unknown.

But regardless, Boris should be quite happy since he was initially
concerned that the A200 was producing better images than the brand new
A65.  No matter which lens he used (and there may be much better ones)
it has outperformed the A200.  Since the A200 has a fixed lens it cannot
be improved from that standpoint.  I'm still concerned that the A200's
performance may be hampered by diffraction limits but, even if that is
the case, it represents how Boris has been using the camera.

A side note.  I recently send Boris a Minolta AF 50/1.7 from my
collection of camera miscellany that can be used on the A65.  That one
should be a high quality lens and he has verified that it does work as
an AF lens on the Sony.

Chuck Norcutt