Re: [OM] Digital B&W Photography - A Revelation

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital B&W Photography - A Revelation
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 06:43:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>The beauty here is that there are a number of ways to get very, very good
>black and white conversions.
>Old school, you do it in Photoshop with the black & white layer, and you work
>your ass off getting what
>you want. It’s how I started, but have quit using since discovering Silver
>Effecx Pro. If I’d found
>Topaz first, I might be gushing about that. Or the Alien Skin software Tina
>mentioned.
>
>As with the camera itself, the result lies with the eye and the skill of the
>photographer, not so much
>with the particular brand of conversion software.
>
>Which is to say, pick one and learn to use it, forsaking all others unless
>there’s a compelling reason
>to switch.

     As I've come to learn in these past few weeks, the E-500/510 are very good
platforms for colour and "casual" (meaning no filter) B&W.  For detailed B&W,
both the camera and the Olympus software fall very short of the mark, and other
venues need to be explored in order to enjoy the full creativity potential of
B&W.

     I won't dispense with Olympus cameras as I have full confidence in both
the film and digital cameras of theirs that I have used.  But whoever wrote
this B&W conversion firmware and software needs to be taken out to the woodshed
and left there.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson