Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 68, Issue 21

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 68, Issue 21
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 07:02:19 -0700
Andrew:

1. Typewriter. Most folks wouldn't know a typesetter if it bit them. And
the idea was to get them thinking about the fact that typing a line,
hitting Enter and going on to the next wasn't going to work well.
2. Anywhere. I don't know a word processor that handles multiple
consecutive spaces well. I'd like to know of a case where it may be of
benefit.
3. Correct. And the point is that multiple consecutive tabs or enters not
separated by additional text are a waste of one's time. Better to set
proper tabs and inter-paragraph spacing using the appropriate formatting
tools.
4. What's a 'pen draft'?
5. Why I said "write first" not "edit first". Formatting slows one down
considerably when the objective is really just to get the data/one's
thoughts/the report/whatever written.

The longer and more complex the formatting a document is likely to have,
the more that extraneous spaces, tabs, enters (which normally produce
paragraph marks) and so forth will make you miserable when editing or
revising later. They'll cause rivers, odd page breaks, text that
"mysteriously" jumps from where you wanted it and all sorts of other
gremlins. Best for really long, complex documents is to define styles for
the different types of paragraphs and apply the styles after the entire
text is created.