[OM] PS layers, was: Wratten Filters in Digital B&W Photography - The Fi

Subject: [OM] PS layers, was: Wratten Filters in Digital B&W Photography - The Final Solution
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:30:50 -0400
I think our view of layers must be much different perhaps colored by out different types of photography. Your comments about LR being able to undo adjustments is also available in PhotoShop independent of layers. The importance of layers is in being able to blend one or more layers together under masks or opacity controls or numerous other methods.

A simple use for a portrait of a woman
Layer 1 - original image
Layer 2 - global changes... exposure, color balance
Layer 3 - major skin retouching if desired... zits, cuts, etc.
Layer 4 - sharpening of whole layer but with final intent being only
          to affect eyes, lips, brows, jewelry, etc.
Layer 5 - lightly blur entire layer to remove sharpening from all
Layer 6 - under mask, paint over eyes, lips, brows, etc to reveal
          sharpening on layer beneath.
Finally, flatten all for final image.

A very recent example of a more complex use of layers for a portrait of a 22 member family group ranging in age from 1 to 70+. I won't describe the details of each layer but simply say that I had about 20 images of 20 members of the group (as a group) and 3 images of the other two members of the group as their own group. The family group photo had been scheduled for 11:00am but one couple had to leave early to catch a plane. Because they couldn't be there they were photographed separately... in the same place and from (approximately) the same camera position that was planned for the larger group and using the same fill-flash lighting.

Shooting a large family group with small children with everyone looking at the camera is like herding cats. I first built a tiny spreadsheet where I classified each person on each image as being acceptable for use or not. From that I determined that I could build a composite of the larger group from only two images. People were aligned in 3 rows. From the first image the top row of people and a few from the left side of the middle row were good. The second image provided the right side of the middle row and the bottom row. Blending these together under masks produced a modified main group photo. Finally, the photo of the couple was selected and split into two so husband and wife could be inserted separately wherever they would fit in the back row. The wife was inserted at one side where there was a small open space which allowed most of her body to be at least partially shown. The husband's head and shoulders were inserted in the back row between his brothers-in-law. Once they were inserted it was apparent that a small exposure adjustment was necessary for them due to the change in sun between 11:00 and noon. Masks were used to fit everything together along with a little bit of touching up here and there people had moved slightly between shots. Amazingly the kids were not the main problem. The main problem was grandma who was holding the 1 year old and was most often looking at the baby rather than the camera.

Anyhow, that's a use of layers that you wouldn't likely encounter doing landscapes. I did this photo a couple weeks ago. The family hasn't seen the prints yet but should see it tomorrow. If they agree I'll post the image on Zone-10.

Chuck Norcutt (cat herder)