[OM] The Last Days of General Electric in Ft. Wayne

Subject: [OM] The Last Days of General Electric in Ft. Wayne
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 14:18:43 -0400
GE used to be one of Fort Wayne's biggest employers, with over 25,000 people
working at the company's sprawling complex of factories, offices, and R&D
facilities in the city's downtown area. They recently announced that they
will be shutting down the remaining operations at the 102 year old complex,
which still has 13 buildings, at the beginning of 2015. Most of the
buildings have sat empty for many years now, the manufacture of electric
motors and appliances having been sent to low-wage countries. Fewer than 100
people still work there, so the closing will not have a big economic impact
in Fort Wayne, but symbolically it represents the final end of the days when
American manufacturers built such gigantic manufacturing facilities here.

Several people in my family worked here in the long-ago past, including my
father's grandfather, two of his uncles, and one of his aunts. I've started
photographing the buildings over the last month or so; I anticipate that
they'll be demolished once GE leaves.

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-results.php?category=67

These are the seven photos I have up so far. I'll continue adding more to
this ongoing project. I have four rolls of film I shot this week to develop
and scan, and I have more things I want to photograph before its gone.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook