Re: [OM] Golden Gate Bridge

Subject: Re: [OM] Golden Gate Bridge
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:51:09 -0700
As Charlie and Michael say, the location is probably pretty easy.

Duplicating the look of the shot is likely to be harder. The color of the water varies with tide, time of year and light. I have never seen that sort of green, on the water near the Gate or above it. Finding that together with partial clouds to add interesting shadow shapes on any random day seems extremely unlikely.

It is, of course, not unlikely that the image has been highly modified in an
editor, particularly to get the green.

Then Again - the summer fog cycle is in business, and will be for your visit. That means a 3-6 day-ish cycle of heavy fog for 1-2 days, burning off earlier and earlier, leading up to a day or two of sun - then wham, heavy fog. On any given day, one might have a sunny view from above the bridge, an atmospheric, misty view, no view, not even see the water from the bridge, or not see the hand on your outstretched arm.

The fog part of the cycle is less intense where we live, East across the Bay, and most intense right along the water, including the GG Bridge. There are parts of SF that get much less fog, much of the Mission District and especially Noe Valley, for example, but the west end and Bridge get the full effect.

It's not uncommon from here to see the Bay stretched out scenically, with fog rolling across the hills of SF and nothing of the bridge but perhaps the top of the towers.

You are in SF for about 3.5 days? If your schedule is flexible, you can hope for a low/no fog day and head out for the Marin headlands.

BTW, Monterey/Carmel has the same cycle. If you are at least a little ways up Carmel Valley, it should be nice (part of the reason it's so pricy), but could be cold and windy on the coast - or not, which I hope for you.

Visiting that area, I can't recommend a visit to Point Lobos State Reserve. One of the most beautiful meetings of sea and shore in the world, according to lots of people, including me.

Any one who wants a fogless Calif. (and Oregon) coast should skip June through
August.

To Fog or Not to Fog Moose