Re: [OM] (Waaay OT) Seeking wisdom

Subject: Re: [OM] (Waaay OT) Seeking wisdom
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 23:42:12 -0700
Bob: The "conversation" you had was probably with a machine, which is why the it felt odd. Said machine didn't have any real interactive ability, it just generated random conversation-starter phrases. Each time you pressed Enter, it would say another seemingly realistic thing to keep you interested. The giveaway is that it was all kinda non sequitor, nothing related to what you said. Eventually it would have asked you for your email, or some other identifying information. They you would have been spammed unmercifully with everything from toenail fungus remedies to male enhancement to porn.

I experienced a variation on this theme. A spammer hijacked a high school friend's Facebook account, and then did the same thing you experienced. In this case the fake Mary wanted me to go to her supposed Web site, which was a malware carrier. I immediately told (the real) Mary about it, and then got stuck helping to advise several non-technical high school classmates who'd fallen for it on how clean their computers and reset their FB passwords.

Fun times in the Lawless Wild West.
--Peter