[OM] E-Mx and off-center tripod mounts

Subject: [OM] E-Mx and off-center tripod mounts
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:06:22 -0400 (EDT)
Q. R. Moose writes:

With the light µ4/3 gear, I've mostly gone back the the
Velbon QR stuff. It's lighter and quicker to use.

Moose as usual is spot on that A-S plates may be overkill very often for µ4/3 gear and the plates often very oversized. He has a very solid solution as expected. A-S seems to have a smaller version now--come up with a smaller, lighter plate system called Slidefix. Like their other stuff, the clamps & plates are expensive, and other mfrs. last I checked have not climbed on the bandwagon yet, so there is not the huge assortment of clamps and custom plates from RRS, Kirk, Acratech, etc. as there is for the
classic A-S system, but I have no experience with that system at all.

KPS plates are usually half the size of A-S and also nicely engineered. They require a special ball head however or an adapter for A-S that is apparently in the works. They even have a geared Ball head available.

Nevertheless esteemed listee Jeff K reminded me to look at Hejnar Photo--he had a svelte A-S plate that had the nonrotation ridge (which is very very nice) that did not extend to far in front of the diminutive GM-1 and interfere with other lens mounting as best I can tell. I do have some Velbon gear but have A-S for FF and OM so the Hejnar plate was the path of least resistance for me. It avoided the battery door when mounted off center but could be centered for panos if required. The owner of that place is a good egg.

On center (sometimes), Mike