Re: [OM] IMG: Sidewalk Cafe

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sidewalk Cafe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:55:15 -0700
On 6/23/2014 10:36 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
Don't know why that one went before I finished!
This one should make up for that last one:

http://www.pbase.com/image/156248682

And most Vietnamese women do look more like this one!

This is interesting. I probably wouldn't comment, as my main point is one I probably make too often, but then there's 'Taking a Break' raising some of the same issues ...

A lovely subject and composition. but,

The white balance is way off. If it's actually very early or late light, I may have gone too cool, but it sure looks more natural to me. Easy enough to correct, with several pure white objects in the image.

Not a complaint, just an observation of interest, at least to me. This is a really great example of bokeh, good and bad, depending on the background distance. OOF increases smoothly and naturally from the focal plane back to the start of the group of men, then gets progressively more edgy, with multiple, bright circular edges.

And my common rant - the focal plane is not on the primary subject. This one particularly drives my eyes wild, as there is almost nothing really in focus to settle on. It seems the plane of focus is a foot or two in front of the woman; part of the door in front of her is in focus, as is one of the red stools.

I guess it doesn't matter for stock, nor, apparently, to most folks who see it.
But it's not what it could be.

As usual, this is more an idea of what could be/have been, with limitations from working with a small, web image. Focal plane moved to her forward eye, WB adjusted, rear bokeh blurred. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Sidewalk_Cafe.htm>

Color, Bokeh, Focal Fiend Moose