[OM] [OT] Encryption advice

Subject: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:44:09 -0400
I've decided that I'd like to have a small, virtual disk where everything on the disk is encrypted. It would be used to hold things like password lists, tax returns or anything else that I wouldn't want divulged for personal security reasons. I do use some encryption software today on individual files but would like the convenience of having everything on a given disk be automatically encrypted and decrypted. Just give a single password at boot time to activate the encrypted disk and be done with it for the day.

I had recently read a recommendation to use a free product called "TrueCrypt". I had noted the link but, when I went to download the product and figure out how to use it the website informed me that the product had been withdrawn and to use Microsoft BitLocker instead. BitLocker is probably just fine but, for a Win7 "Home Premium" user, requires an upgrade to Win7 "Ultimate" for $140.

I located an Open Source product called FreeOTFE which sounded good until I discovered that is no longer supported either for several reasons.

Since the disk encryption software needs to be implemented as a device driver it's desirable that the driver be "signed" by Microsoft. That costs about $400. The providers of free stuff are loath to pay that so finding something free may not be in the cards. I don't mind paying for a commercial product but $140 to Microsoft for an OS upgrade is more than I'd like to pay. Advice?

Chuck Norcutt