Re: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 15:07:01 -0400
Thanks much for that. There's a lot of stuff in there but what I chose to focus on is the commentary at Gibson Research <https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm> I've known, bought from and followed Steve Gibson for about 30 years and trust his knowledge and judgement.

The bottom line is that TrueCrypt (far from being ugly) is actually a beautifully written application. You can find the source, excecutables and documentation on GRC's page above. Version 7.1a (the last complete version) has been running unchanged since Feb 2012. There's no reason why we shouldn't trust it... well, as long as you're not paranoid over the possibility of NSA backdoors. If the NSA wants my social security number they have far easier ways to get it than decrypting one of my old tax returns. :-)

I've downloaded it and will try it out. Thanks, I feel like I'm back on track.

Chuck Norcutt