Re: [OM] Cars

Subject: Re: [OM] Cars
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:57:35 -0400
I only had it for a few years. My grandfather bought a brand new Chevy
Caprice in 1991, and when he got it nearly paid off, he began telling me
he was going to buy a new one when he finished paying it off, and he
wanted me to have the old one. He hated my Pontiac, thought it was too
small.

I didn't really take him seriously until one day in 1995, I came home from
school (I was in college) and my dad tells me that grandpa wants me to
call him. I call, and grandpa tells me he bought a new 1995 Caprice and
that he wanted me to come get my car out of his driveway so he'd have room
to park the new one. My Pontiac was in my parents' driveway....grandpa
says "NO, not that little pice of shit! Your Caprice!"

The Pontiac was a nice car, grandpa's opinion notwithstanding, and my
family kept it as a backup car for several years, but I drove the Caprice
from that day forward. In 2000, grandpa bought another new car and he gave
me the 1995 Caprice because he thought the 91 was getting 'too old' even
though it was a nice car. The rest of our family threw a gigantic temper
tantrum about him giving me those cars, which I did not even ask for,
instead of him giving the cars to his other grandchildren. He told them he
gave me the cars because of his 10 grandchildren, I was the only one that
spent time with him and grandma.

I put over 200,000 miles on the 95 Caprice and basically wore it out. I
replaced it with a Ford Crown Victoria a few years ago. Grandpa was right;
big cars are awesome. I feel claustrophobic in midsize cars like that
Pontiac now. I'd have gotten another Caprice, but GM quit making them in
96, and there are few left in nice condition anymore.

A lot of people like to bitch about GM cars, but the Pontiac and the two
Caprices I had were incredibly reliable cars. The Caprices, especially,
were indestructible. I hit a deer once in the 95, something that usually
totals a car. The only damage suffered was a smashed out grill and
headlights! Replaced them, and the car kept on going. I think its a matter
of getting what you pay for. People buy cheap, bottom of the line crap
cars like the Chevy Cavaliers (my sister had one and so did a few friends.
They were shit) and get upset because they don't have the reliability of a
car costing twice as much.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography