Re: [OM] IMG: Sidewalk Cafe

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sidewalk Cafe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:24:49 -0700
On 6/28/2014 12:37 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
Interesting discussion, I tend to shoot with daylight (5300K ?) WB and then
do any adjustments in raw conversion to jpg.

So is there a "native" WB for the sensor

No. Think about it. Each sensor just reports the intensity of the light that got to it through a colored filter. Assignment of three color channels to each pixel is a process of interpolation for all but Foveon sensors. Assignment of relative proportions of those channels and tint adjustment is essentially arbitrary, based on assumptions about the nature of the light that illuminated the subject.

White balance is an accommodation to the way human eyes work and our minds
'see', not anything inherent in a light sensor.

  (like the "native" ISO)

That may be an illusory idea, too. The sensor is linear; various makers have different ideas of just how to convert that to gamma corrected images that make sense to our eyes. I think 'native' or 'base' ISO is as much a construct of the camera maker as anything absolute. Ctein did a very informative, if sometimes mind bending, couple of posts on 'real' ISO on TOP

  ?

If you're shooting under tungsten lighting is it better to use an 80A filter
when you shoot and have to make less adjustment in digital processing ?

I think not. Remember Chris T's recent adventures with color filters?

I suspect that this gives you better dynamic range /channel to work with but
then you lose a bit over a stop on the original exposure.

Any theories or better still, actual experience ?

I never liked using those filters on film. I have lots of experience with setting Tungsten on cameras or in RAW conversion. It works for me.

Color Balanced Moose