Re: [OM] Cars

Subject: Re: [OM] Cars
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:57:12 -0500
> AIRC this wasn't the case in Los Angeles where the auto industry deliberately
> white anted the public transport system, did it not?

Horribly oversimplified.

Public transportation died pretty much uniformly across the country
with two things: Improvements and availability in private automobiles
and the improvements and availability in public roads. While GM was
party to the demise, the demise was imminent.

Public transportation only made sense when the railroads could make a
profit doing it. And that profitability was ALWAYS subsidized by mail
and freight.

The real cost of public transportation is extreme. I believe that one
particular rail system in Texas costs the taxpayers something like
$250 per passenger beyond the ticket price.

Another aspect that changed everything was the moving away from city
center centric urban planning.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx