Re: [OM] [Kiron-Klub] Infrared (IR) Photography Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] [Kiron-Klub] Infrared (IR) Photography Lenses
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 14:42:32 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> I'm working on improving my abilities with infrared (IR) photography and
>> I'm finding that using the IR focusing mark on my prefered MF lens does
>> not produce sharp images. I'm going to evaluate other lenses that I have
>> available, but in the meantime I'd like to ask if it is prefereable to
>> use a primary (ie - fixed FL) lens for this, or is there a zoom lens in
>> the near wide (28-35mm) to near telephoto (70-85mm) range that will
>> produce sharp IR images?
>>

>Stick with primes, Chris.  If you're having difficulty with a prime it
>will likely only be moreso with a zoom.  You might want to have a look
>at the Wiki article on the challenges of focusing infrared images.  Note
>especially the mention of increased diffraction using infrared.  That
>may invalidate one's normal reaction to stop down to improve focus.
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_photography#Focusing_infrared>

     I'll dig a couple out and give them a try.  I have a Vivitar/Kiron 28/2.5
and Vivitar TX/Tokina 35/2.5 that are worth looking at (or should I say
"through"?).

     One thing I've noticed with this is that the internal meter on the E-510
is way off when the 750µ IR filter is on.  The meter indicates that I should
use 1/250 at f/5.6 whereas the correct exposure is 4-5 seconds.  Is there
something about the internal metering, such as high red sensitivity, that I/we
should be aware of?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson