[OM] 1/4 million views (so what?)

Subject: [OM] 1/4 million views (so what?)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:46:31 -0700
This morning my flickr stats showed that I'd reached one-quarter million views of my photos. Not too bad for a middle-aged guy who lives in an ordinary American suburb and doesn't attempt to create an Internet cult of personality. Now, I don't really put that much credence in "number of clicks" as an indication of a photo's artistic merits. I basically just take pictures that interest me. I'm not trying to make myself famous for more than 15 minutes.

Anyway, just for fun, here's what got the most views:

1. Cute dogs doing cute things
2. Not-very-good snapshots of Hispanic children at an outdoor birthday party with a piñata (these may be a fluke--I think these attracted the attention of a large extended family, church group or similar)
3. Attractive women, especially outdoors
4. Pictures taken in Israel, especially Jerusalem.
5. Young couples interacting, preferably affectionately
6. Veiled Muslim women
7. The occasional really beautiful scenic, preferably at the golden hour or sunset. It helps if it's an exotic location or has some really magic lighting.

I also sorted my pictures by flickr's "interestingness" measure, which is the number of times people marked a picture as a "favorite," and/or commented. A similar pattern to the above emerges. But now a group of black-and-white "decisive moment" people pictures and humorous, quirky juxtapositions are counted among the most popular. These are among my favorite subjects. Of course, I belong to several groups that emphasize these kinds of pictures, so it's a self-selecting population.

I'm not sure what any of this really tells me, but it's interesting. Any thoughts?

--Peter