Re: [OM] OT: Fuji X file sizes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Fuji X file sizes
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 09:25:15 -0400
Basic question:  Why do you convert to DNG?

From reviewing data on DPReview for the M8 (10.3MB) and X-T1 (16MP) (X-Pro 1 raw file size not available in the review) the M8's raw file is 10.3MB and the Fuji X-T1 (same 16MP sensor size) is 32.2MB.

If these files were stored in non-compressed TIFF files (DNG is basically a TIFF file) the M8 would require (assuming 6 bytes/pixel) 61.8MB and the Fuji would require 96MB. The fact that their raw files don't require nearly this much space clearly shows that the raw files incorporate some form of compression and probably bit-packing of the pixel data as well.

The fact that the DNG fits into 50-60MB rather than 96 also indicates some form of compression going on but clearly not as efficient... maybe because the DNG is a lossless algorithm and the camera makers allow some degree of loss. I once considered using DNG but, not having drunk the Adobe DNG KoolAid, ultimately couldn't explain to myself why I should do so.

Chuck Norcutt