Re: [OM] OT: Fuji X file sizes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Fuji X file sizes
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 10:17:48 +0100
I take exception to being named Knut, as it is all too easy to mistype that
name. Calling me Knit is even worse, before you start wnodering (sic).

It's an example of terminology changing to reflect the technology having
changed. Back in the old days, it would be impractical for a printshop to
have available as many typefaces as are on my PC, and completely
unimaginable for each typeface that was held to be available in limitless
fonts. Maybe 10 and 12 point for a text typeface, with some headline
typefaces held. A newspaper would have one house typeface for text (guess
why _that_ typeface is called "Times"!), one house headline typeface, in
limited sizes. Copy fitting to the available space was a matter of adjusting
the leading (the inter-line spacing) so called because it involved use of
strips of lead.

[Skip early development of computerised typesetting and  DTP, the HP
Laserjet arrives]

Remember the two big slots side-by-side over the paper tray on the first
Laserjets? That's where you put the font cartridges. And they were just
that, one typeface in a single size. Next, along comes Postscript and Adobe
Type Manager. You have to buy each font separately - but guess what - same
limitations applied. One font was still just that, Times Roman 12 point, for
example.

That all changed, the arrival of Truetype marked the start of the lexical
breakdown, with unlimited fonts from each typeface - but the terminology had
already been adopted by the non-typographically aware PC user. And wrongly
adopted!

I blame Microsoft, of course.

Piers