Re: [OM] The Adobe tax - Chris & Jez

Subject: Re: [OM] The Adobe tax - Chris & Jez
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 09:53:22 -0400
I must be expressing myself badly as well. When using Bridge I also have an instant preview of my raw files and, although I create a separate folder for converted raw files that is simply my own way of working. It is not required. If you try to load a raw file directly into PhotoShop it will first pass through ACR along with its sidecar file if it had been previously worked on. It will pause in ACR in case you want to do further editing and you then tell it to pass the in-memory image on to PhotoShop. No intermediate, converted file is saved unless you want it saved.

FastStone or Breezebrower behavior depends on what you give them to work with. Canon raw files always contain a small JPEG that represents the shot as taken and the browser will pull that JPEG if large enough for the type of preview you're requesting. If not large enough they will convert the raw files on the fly which can be pretty slow. AFAIK, ORF files do not contain an embedded JPEG like Canon raw files so I have taken to including a small JPEG along with the raw file. That way if I use FastStone or BreezeBrowser I'll get a fast preview of the original shot. It's not clear to me whether Bridge uses the small JPEG I provide or not. The small JPEG, of course, represents the camera's view of the shot and not ACR's version of same.

Chuck Norcutt