Re: [OM] The Adobe tax

Subject: Re: [OM] The Adobe tax
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 15:20:47 +0100
Not sure at whom the rant is targeted Philippe!

FOLDERS just gives a view of the physical location of the files on the
disks and in my case is where the IMPORTS came from.
CATALOG(ue) is what LR manages and it provides views of All Photographs
and, as you say, is the basis of searches.
COLLECTIONS are where you temporarily or permanently want to group together
photos for some reason. Perhaps the result of searches.  And probably
mixing pictures from different folders and/or disks.
They can be SMART (bases on rules and automatically managed, like PAST
MONTH) or created manually by drag-and-drop.
So I create a physical folder each time I want to catalog a new set of
pictures - which usually means after each event when I want to empty the
memory card. Out of habit they are in different parent folders according to
the camera used! I like the reassurance that if I ever dump LR I can still
have a modicum of organisation to my pictures!
But then when I'm editing I use whatever VIEW is most appropriate.

OK?  ;-)