Re: [OM] Converting Raw files

Subject: Re: [OM] Converting Raw files
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 17:43:53 -0400
Point taken, but what I was hinting at is the very real possibility that in the
not very distant future I intend to put away my gizmos and whizbangers and
settle back into a life of contemplation, writing, and occasional forays into
image making, but without all the mass production facilities that bugger up my
days.

Your are precisely correct that the current subscription is not to be sneered
at, at least not too much. Right now, I get the latest, greatest PS CC and LR
for 10 bucks a month, or $120 a year. Not so bad, as long as I remember to
check and see what the latest actually brings me. I know there’s new stuff in
there, but so far I haven’t been bothered to find out what it is. My bad. <g>

Still, at the moment life is cluttered with piles of mats and foam core and
boxes of paper and cartons of ink and a plethora of other odds and ends
comprising my wee operation. In order to make it pay, I have to work in
quantity, because neither me nor anyone else—save about four photogs
worldwide—are making a living selling prints. I’m basically paying for my toys
and all the other stuff attending them. At this very moment I am facing the
need to order another stack of a certain size mat, having just run out. The
company I get them from requires a minimum $200 order, and I don’t need that
many, so I’m waiting to see if anything else crops up to justify a $200 order.
A couple of years ago I already would have placed the order and wouldn’t have
thought a thing about it.

At some point, it just won’t be worth the hassle. I’ll flush it all, try to get
as much money for it as I can, and settle in with some respectable image-making
system—probably Fuji, the way the stars are lining up—and call it a day for Bob
Whitmire Photography. If I can talk a gallery or two into maintaing my
presence, I will reduce it to a few high-quality, expensive prints done by one
lab or another. And, of course, this list and the excellent TOPE gallery, which
is an excellent place to hang one’s images for general perusal.

Then I shall set about spending my reclining years reclining, or wandering
around hither and yon, or playing with grandchildren, or authoring various
dribs and drabs of this and that on a blog, or even—horrors!—Facebook. I have
friends clamoring for a blog, but have refused so far because what the world
needs now is _not_ another blog.

Joan is planning to retire at the first of the year, and I can assure you, time
spent in her company is much more rewarding than time spent with my camera.

Shucks, I haven’t even bothered to drool over the new Nikon D810.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal